Thursday, November 15, 2012

Isn't it time you made a list?



This is not a post about weight loss.  You will not find tips on better snacking and quick exercise tips for busy moms.  You will not read about how to keep motivated or how people will try to sabotage your efforts. No, this is not a post about losing weight. 

This is a post about finally doing something you either have always wanted to do or simply never thought you could do yourself.   Been there before?  Ever said to yourself “I wish I could do that ” or “one day I am going to do that”.  I know I have.  I think I say that almost every day.  Whether it is something I see on TV or something I run into  while doing errands, I am constantly wishing I knew how to do something or saying to myself that one day I will do so and so. 

Then the other day, after weighing myself for the 400th time, I realized that I used to say that about losing weight. When you are fat, you see the process of losing weight as the hardest thing in the world. Giving birth is not as hard as losing weight. And when you have unsuccessfully tried to lose weight a number of times, the thought of trying again is heartbreaking.  I know. 

Happy to say that 11 months later and 60 lbs thinner, I am amazed everyday that I was able to do it.  I know I have more to go, but just getting to where I am is the hardest thing I have ever done.You know how I did it? I just did. I decided to get off the couch and start eating better.  It was all about just going for it knowing that I might not be successful at it, but that if I didn’t go for it, it would never happen.  It was reminding myself that it wasn’t a race or test and that if I failed, it was ok.

Then I wondered how far I would get if I actually just went for it every time I mumbled to myself “God I wish I could that. From a simple standing rib roast to learning how to blow glass.  Just going for it.  What better motivation than the fact that I did it once already! I did the “impossible”. I lost weight. 
I am blessed with the opportunity to be a stay at home mom, even though I still do some consulting work on the side (purely to keep me in the loop with my career).  But between changing diapers and picking up the toys in the living room for the millionth time, life can get a bit stale. 

So what if I started a list and officially keep track of every single time I say “I wish I could do that” and actually started doing some of these things. What if every single silly idea of “I wish I could carve an ice sculpture” actually turned into one of my things to do?  What if I started the bucket list, and actually worked on it every week? Would I feel more fulfilled or would I just appreciate my simple life even more? 
Do you have a bucket list? A real one? Not an imaginary one you talk about but never keep track of. An actually bucket list on paper that you look at and update frequently. Maybe it’s time we build one, before life just creeps on by.

It doesn’t have to be a life-long list. It can be anything you like.  Check out these bucket lists.

It can be as simple as a seasonal list.

Or a simple list of things to do before leaving somewhere. 
Check this site out for more inspiration. 

Whats on your bucket list? Ill go work on mine and post it soon.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!