Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Between you and me, Just Between Friends is the place to be!

Any parent can tell you that buying clothes for children while staying on a budget is a major challenge, especially when they sometimes seem to grow two inches overnight. Don’t even get me started on toys. Your kid goes to a friend's house, loves a toy, you go out and pay full retail price for it, and your kid never looks at it again. Instead, he LOVES the box. You gotta love em.    

I still remember my best friend complaining about how she had to drag her kid shopping because her jeans where starting to look like clam diggers.  I also remember her complaining about how she just spent $35 dollars on a pair of jeans she knows will not last her kid more than a few months.  In all honestly, this was B.A. (before Aiden) so I never really cared.  I listened and sympathized but I couldn't relate.  I figured that spending $20 dollars on a cute little outfit is not such a big deal. 

That is, of course, until you realize that the cute little outfit that you just bought last week, does not fit because your kid grows like an alien! Now the $20 dollars of cuteness has become either a $20 dollar hassle if you even have the time to go back to the mall and return it, or a $20 dollar "maybe for the next baby" outfit (if you are brave enough to have another one or lucky enough to have him or her be the same gender).  Oh, and did I mention the full retail toys my son never looked at twice? Nah...not bitter at all.  

Now, I don't know about you, but that's $20 dollars I would rather not flush down the toilet, and given the state of our current economy, I think most people are on the same boat.  That is why I am so thankful to have discovered children's consignment sales a few months before my son was born.  Consignment sales give you the opportunity to purchase good quality children clothes at incredible savings. They also allow you to sell those cute little outfits that your kid outgrew in 2 hours so they are not a complete waste. Well organized sales pay good attention to quality, weeding out clothes that are stained or torn and making sure toys are in full working mode.

I mean, seriously, I bought this Gap romper for my son at a sale for 2.75.  Can you possibly get any cuter?



Or how about the “Give Peas a Chance” shirt I bought for $1.00.  How could you possible not give peas a chance with that face? Now if only I could get him to smile for the camera.

Do you all remember this cute outfit? I believe this one was $3.00. 


Or how about this one?


Ok, I snuck this one in. No outfit or deal here, just cute. Thank you to my dear and very talented friend Heather for snapping this pic for me. :)

Between clothes (for my son and nephews) and toys, I must saved thousands of dollars by now. And for those of you who know my son, you know he is always stylin. J I swear this kid dresses better than I do.  Now the question is, “Do I need to go to all of these sales?” The answer is…not necessarily. Some are definitely bigger and better than others. 

Right now I am particularly excited about the Just BetweenFriends (JBF) Consignment Sale coming up this weekend September 15-16th at the Dulles Sportsplex in Sterling Virginia.  Not only is it a very large sale, but Just Between Friends has a reputation for being very organized.  Trust me, you want organized.  Lots of brand names and high demand items (have you ever tried to get a Bob stroller on Craigslist before? They are gone in minutes!)

Check out some of their pictures from their Facebook Album Spring 2012 event:




The sale is open to the public on Saturday, September 15th from 10 AM to 6:30 PM with a $5 admission fee (totally worth it, trust me) and on Sunday, September 16th between 8AM and Noon with a 50% price sale (no admission fee).

If you volunteer your time at the sale (which I believe they still have slots available), you can qualify for presale passes which allow you entrance before the general public. JBF also has bartering opportunities for those who cannot volunteer too much time, but if you can’t do either, not big deal. You will still find tons of good deals during normal sale hours. 

Visit their Facebook page and get a pass for free admission on Saturday (no $5 dollar fee!). I believe you can just show them the pic on your phone.  If you like their page, you can get notified of upcoming events as well. 

I cant wait to pick out Aiden's outfits for the winter. Maybe a good warm snow suit?
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!