Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Nursery

As some of you may know, our little boy, Aiden Tyler gave us a surprise by arriving three weeks earlier than expected.  On Tuesday early morning, my water unexpectedly broke and after 17 hours of labor and failure to progress, our little one arrived via C-section at 7:55 PM. 

Today we were finally discharged and are now at home trying to settle in from this very eventful week.  Since things have happened unexpectedly, I have not had enough time to write a post about our baby nursery.  So although baby is here already, I will take a minute to show everybody our finished nursery and I promise to write more about Aiden’s arrival over the weekend. 

DSC_0390


This room used to be my husband’s tool room. Funny how things change after marriage. :)  Here is Adam and his dad installing flooring in the Nursery. 
DSC_0385

Once the floor was installed, deciding on paint color was a bit of a challenge since we were still waiting on our custom paintings. 
DSC_0409

Experts now believe that ceiling fans significantly decrease the risks of SIDS so my dear hubby and father in law decided it was best to install a fan in the room. 
DSC_0408

Adam then installed these roll out shelves in the closet which have turned out to be worth their weight in gold.  I have all of our baby clothes all neatly folded and we still have tons of space. 
DSC_0398

This little monkey was waiting for Aiden for a long time. 

After weeks of preparation, our room was finally finished and we could not possibly be happier with the end results.  We are more happy that we were able to finish the nursery before baby got here.  It took a lot of work, but we did it! 

DSC_1133

It turns out my hubby has a knack for placing wall decals. He put up the trunk of the tree, and I spent the following day putting up all the little leaves.  Even something as simple as putting up leaves can be quite a task for an 8 month pregnant lady.  Even harder was hanging the letters, but I could not resist the temptation to do so. :)

DSC_1134 The painting on the wall was a custom made piece by Brian Cantwell from the Cantwell Studio. He is the husband of a dear friend of mine and was kind enough to paint these pictures at my request with very little notice. He is very talented. 

I used to use the bamboo as a decorating piece in my living room only to find out a year later that my hubby hated it. I decided to keep them in case I could come up with another use for them.  Never thought they would be used in a nursery.  :) Finding bedding that matched all of the color motifs was also a challenge but we availed! 

DSC_1135

These shelves were also repurposed from a different place in the house. We bought the dresser at Kohls.com. It is made by Graco and must say, it is not a well built dresser. My husband used some of his own tools and materials to reinforce it, but I strongly recommend not buying Graco furniture. 

DSC_1137

My In Laws got us both the Christopher Robin plaque and the room blessing on the wall. 

 

DSC_1139

DSC_1140

 

Our little animal friends all looking at the crib.

DSC_1145

DSC_1146

DSC_1148

DSC_1149

DSC_1150

The finishing touches

DSC_1154

DSC_1155

DSC_1156

 

The Finished Product

DSC_1157

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I absolutely love the theme and the colors. Very warm and inviting. All the attention to detail is great, such as the little sleeve for the baby mobile. Where do you find stuff like that? Baby is going to love his room! Congrats again!

    P.S. - love the name of the blog too. Very catchy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I am so happy for the both of you. What a joyous event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful nursery. You are a great decorator.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!