Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chronicles of Pie

This Thanksgiving, my mother in law volunteered to cook our entire dinner so I did not have to worry about cooking. I, however, really wanted to bake a pie and when I asked my hubby what kind of pie he wanted, he said he wanted a lemon meringue pie.  I, naturally, said “no problem” like I am an expert in pies.  I should have known better.
So just to prove that the Chairwoman is not perfect (although I sure am close) ;) , I have decided to show you my Chronicles of Pie. 
At least I have heard my Apple Pie is good. :) 
 
Final Oranges

Mistake # 1 – Turns out our lemons had gone bad and it was too late to go to the supermarket.  They were as hard as cue balls.  So I decided I would use Oranges instead.  My husband said “Go for it, its Citrus!”
At this point, I think I am doing great!

Final Cooking filing
Mistake #2
– When I put in the cornstarch, orange juice, and water in the pot to cook, I did not mix it immediately which now I know allows cornstarch to turn into a rock.  So I mixed and mixed and mixed and made it creamy again.

At this point, I think mixing that worked and pie is going to be great!  Yay!
Final Filling the pie copy Mistake #3 – I overfilled the pie crust.
At this point, however, I am thinking “look at how pretty that lemon, I mean, orange filling”  this is going to be yummy. 

Oh, and yes that is my belly :)
Final Straw Picture


Mistake # 4 – All hell breaks loose. I used confectioners sugar instead of regular sugar for the meringue which made it really heavy.  When we poured the meringue over the pie, the filling started spilling out. My husband grabbed a straw and started drinking the filling out of the pie (SO GROSS) until I stopped him and poured some filling out of the pie.

Final Disaster begins Mistake #5 – I should have thrown the pie out. My husband had already drank a 1/2 cup of lemon filling and the meringue is getting so hard I thought about using it as a Frisbee. 

At this point, my dear husband is hopeful….I'm pregnant so i am just crying. You gotta love him for trying to help me. LOL
Final Finished disaster pie

Hey, Pie comes out of the oven looking good!!!! I stop crying. Hubby is walking around doing the victory dance and standing like Superman who has just saved the day. 

Pie travels all the way to my in-laws and they ooohh and aaahhh at the beautiful pie.


Final close up Meringue

And then we slice the pie. 

The Meringue was so hard we needed a serrated knife to cut the pie.

Also, please note the lemon soup below it. 

Final lemon soup

And here was a slice of my Lemon Meringue Pie for Thanksgiving which my father in law, bless his heart, actually ate half of so I wouldn't feel bad. 

The pie sucked. 

At least we got a good kick out of it. Have not laughed that hard in a while.


Anybody that knows me knows that I am not one to give up very easily. I once baked 13 pecan pies trying to make a perfect one and although my pecan pie did not look perfect, it was certainly good enough to eat.   So I ran to the supermarket the next day, made some adjustments to my recipe and Voila! 
I made an edible Lemon Meringue Pie! 
So today, in the battle of Woman v. Pie, Woman won!!!
 
Final Pie for blog Check out my peaks!  (That one is for you Heather, LOL)
Final Cutting the good pie We used a regular butter knife to cut the pie!!!!
Final Slice of pie Congealed Lemon Meringue Pie!!!!

If interested, email me for the recipe or be smarter than me and get a frozen one from the supermarket! 

1 comment:

  1. Lis, your first pie when finished looked pretty.
    I guess it is when you cut into it you learned different. No worry honey, the next pie looked scrumptous!!! You A'ed it.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!